Nuagé Men - Shaving Oil

Wednesday 7 August 2013

I have been dying to try a shaving oil for a while now, it's supposed to be a great way to keep your shave smooth and hassle free. So when I saw this Nuagé Shaving Oil in ASDA for only £1, I thought it'd be rude to not try it.


Price: £1 - ASDA

Here's the outcome...


I have to admit that I liked it, but it wasn't the best shave I've ever had. The idea is to go through the usual shaving routine but adding this on either instead of, or with your usual shaving cream, gel, or soap. I figured that since I was testing it out, I'd try it as a replacement to my shaving soap. Ten minutes post-shave and my face and neck are perfectly comfortable and completely hydrated, without the addition of any aftershave lotion. This is very impressive.

Another brilliant benefit of using Nuagé Shaving Oil instead of anything else is that you can see exactly what you're doing; there's no thick, white stuff blocking your view, and that's great. Especially when you only want to shave certain areas like me.

I did say it wasn't the best shave I've ever had though, and I stick to that. I didn't find it quite as smooth as my usual soap, however I have a hunch that this is mainly because I need to change my blades (I'm not made of money). Along with this, the oil did clog up the blades slightly more than the average gel or cream does, but it is oil so that was to be expected.

Overall, I would definitely recommend it. My neck isn't sore, there are no cuts or razor burns, and everywhere I shaved feels nourished and stroke-worthy (probably helped by the menthol in the oil). I think next time I will combine it with my Edwin Jagger shaving soap and see how it feels. I have a feeling that it will be incredibly smooth.


Cheers guys,
O&U.

5 comments :

  1. Good to see enthusiasm for oil, the original shaving medium. I've used nothing else for about five years and will never go back. I endorse all the benefits you list, but would add one: the little spun aluminium container used by Nuagé is perfect for travel; its push-button operation is covered by a plastic cap, ensuring no leakage.

    I think the lack of smoothness you note is due to blade drag, which is more noticeable by comparison with soap or cream. I persist with my Fusion blades for at least 10, sometimes more, shaves - until the white plastic strip is in shreds. At that point, the blade drag, using oil, is at industrial levels. I'm used to it and don't mind because, afterwards, there is still no burning sensation whatever. Remarkable. And cheap !

    One problem is availability. When I started using oil, Nuagé was available at Tesco and Sainsbury's (I wasn't near an Asda at that time), but both have since stopped stocking it. I've now got an Asda, however, and usually buy six units at a time. Tesco and Sainsbury's still stock King of Shaves oil, but it costs nearly £3 for 15ml, compared with just £1 for 20ml of Nuagé at Asda. I suspect those two chains know where the best profit margin lies, but King of Shaves is a rip-off - cheap plastic squeezy bottle (which could leak), also cheap, unnecessary, and ecologically wasteful plastic packaging. I also found a more upmarket oil - Somersets. Similar price to KoS, but it's packed with the likes of Chilean rosehip seed oil and evening primrose oil and smells great.

    I'm part-convinced that Big Shave - Gillette, Wilkinson Sword et al - is conspiring to keep us shavers unwise to the health, ecological, and economical benefits of shaving oil because of the damage it would do to their profits if we did find out.

    Fight for your right to shave better ! Non illegtimi carborundum !! Crush all cans of foam !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like you should have written the review instead of me, o mysterious man!

      Thank you for your comment. Since writing this, I have ceased to shave. However I will be going back to shaving oil the moment I decide to go back to the ways of the blade. I think I'll stick to Nuagé then, it seems amazing, especially for the price.

      Thank you again.

      Delete
    2. Hi Robert I have just formulated a shaving soap and was going to ask if you would like to review it. But you mention you have ceased with shaving, is this a temporary thing or much more long term?

      In case you are wondering the soap I have formulated is Super Smooth which can be found here; http://w-soap.co.uk

      Its development can be read in this forum post; http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-23774.html

      This oil goes great with my soaps, especially the Garden Mint Super Smooth, this is my favourite combo.

      Delete
    3. As much as I'd love to say it's only temporary and how I'd love to review your shaving soap (which I would) - the truth is that I have every intention of keeping the beard going for the foreseeable future.

      I have taken a look at your website and I'm excited to see how it all turns out. I wish I could be more of a part of this.

      If I decide to shave again I will make sure to get in contact. Or if you develop a beard oil/balm, please do contact me.

      Good luck Darron.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Robert for the best wishes, a beard oil. Now you have me thinking, cater for both sides of the market. I have a feeling I will certainly be in touch again Robert. All the best for the future and beard growing.

    ReplyDelete